Are you considering getting a back-of-neck tattoo?
It should be something special, meaningful and not very common right?
Finding an original tattoo design for the back of your neck could be difficult, but not impossible.
That’s why we have selected some really beautiful back of neck tattoos that you can choose from – they will express your personality and character like nothing else.
Moreover, your tattoo artist will be happy to recreate any of these tattoo ideas and enrich their portfolio of tattoos.
1. “Fighter” Script Tattoo on Back of Neck
Being a fighter is no longer a derogatory term.
Today, it means we don’t surrender our dreams and beliefs without a good fight. Here’s a simple emblem telling the world who you are as you pass them.
2. Angel Wing Back of Neck Tattoo
Angel wings are often a tribute to say that someone significant in our lives has passed away.
These beautiful wings are probably for a guardian angel watching over her.
3. Best Fish Back of Neck Tattoo Design for Women
The symbolism of koi fish changes with their color. In this instance, red can mean power, love and motherhood.
A black koi represents fatherhood and masculinity. The two of these together celebrate parenthood and the strength of their family.
4. Black Butterfly Back of Neck Tattoo
Butterflies have as many meanings as there are cultures. This design looks to communicate passage or freedom as it soars away.
5. Black Cross Tattoo on Back of Neck
The cross has been in use as a symbol of power and spiritual essence long before it was adopted by the Christian faith. This simple icon shows its powerful message to the owner.
6. Black Dragonfly Tattoos on Back of Neck
Showing the emergence of a dragonfly from the beginning of its life as a larva to maturity. This transformation is a common meaning when dragonflies are used symbolically.
7. Black Lace Bow Back of Neck Tattoo
Bows and lace are symbols of femininity. This delicate bow has a 3D look that gives the illusion that it’s an extension of herself.
8. Black Phoenix Tattoo on Neck
A phoenix rising from the ashes represents birth, death, and rebirth. Death doesn’t have to be literal. It’s often meant to note a remarkable transformation from a devastating setback in one’s life.
9. Bow on The Back of the Neck Tattoo Design
Bows will sometimes be taken to mean self-centeredness, but this isn’t the intention. The idea is more about a message to take the time to get to know its owner because beauty is more than skin deep.
10. Branches and Flowers Tattoo on Back of Neck
Deer antlers began as images of strength and forging a new path. Today, it takes on the meaning of someone who is capable of unconditional love and strength with grace. It can also mean fertility and growth.
11. Breast Cancer Tattoos On Back Of Neck
Pink ribbons are used to bring awareness to breast cancer. Wearing one as a tattoo can be a badge of honor to a survivor. It can also be a dedication to someone lost to the disease.
12. Butterfly Tattoo Design on Back of Neck
Butterflies are known for their transformative powers. This line drawing shows how simple the path can be.
13. Butterfly Tattoo On Back Of Neck with Lot’s of Complimentary Elements and Details
This butterfly/moth tattoo is unique with more elements of a pyramid shape. The entire piece is anchored with a sacred geometry design.
14. Chic Small Crown Back of Neck Tattoo
A tiara is a lovely example of royalty and elegance in our everyday life. It can also mean being someone’s queen or princess.
15. Compass Back of Neck Tattoo Design
A lovely tattoo that can represent a compass and star all at once.
16. Compass Back of Neck Tattoo for Females
Compass designs are often meant to symbolize a love for traveling. The two arrows in this minimalist design communicate wanderlust.
17. Compass Tattoo on Back of Neck
Besides having a love for travel, a compass tattoo can represent navigating your life path. Since a compass points to true north, it’s often used to confirm you’re staying on track to your true goals
18. Crescent Moon Back of The Neck Tattoo
A crescent moon can have many meanings. It often represents motherhood and fertility. In recent years, it can also mean manifestation and creativity.
19. Cross Faith Tattoo for Women on Back of the Neck
The word “Faith” is spelled out in script with a cross used in place of the “t”.
20. Cute Dragonfly Design on a Woman’s Neck
This simple dragonfly has subtle coloring.
21. Delicate Tattoo on Back of the Neck
This piece is set up like an elaborate necklace. It’s complete with chandelier beads dangling from a chain.
22. Elephant Tattoo Design on Back of Neck
A beautiful statement of the relationship between a mother and her child.
23. Elephant Tattoo on Back Neck for Women
Elephants in Indian culture represent the living incarnation of Lord Ganesh. Elephants are sacred in India. They represent responsibility and mental strength.
24. Everything Happens for a Reason in Drutsa Script Tattoo on Back of Neck
The owner of this tattoo is sharing her belief that everything happens for a reason.
Drutsa is a form of Tibetan calligraphy. Its curved lines make it a popular form of tattoo design.
25. Family’s Birth Years in Roman Numerals for Back of Neck Tattoo Design
Roman numerals are a popular way to commemorate dates. These years are the family’s birth years.
26. Flower Back of Neck Tattoo Design
Flowers are a beautiful way to make an artistic statement. The watercolor effect showcases the range of colors available to artists today.
27. Flowers Tattoo on the Back of Neck for Girls
These peonies, designed in a Neo-traditional style, represent a bold personality.
28. Flying Butterflies Tattoo On Back Of Neck
A single butterfly often means transformation. These butterflies in flight can represent travel or migration.
29. Heart Back of Neck Tattoo Design
Hearts usually mean love. This design means she keeps her heart open for love.
30. Heart Infinity Tattoo Design on Back of Neck
A nice play on the infinity symbol has the word “love” designed within it.
31. Intricate Back of Neck Tattoo Design
A single color design doesn’t have to be plain. This beautiful lace collar is a standout design.
32. Lotus and Mandala with Embellishments Tattoo Design on Back Neck
Lotus flowers represent enlightenment, faith, and peace. This pink coloring is a nod to the flower’s link to Buddhism.
33. Lotus Flower Infinity Tattoo on the Back of the Neck
This is a nice riff on the traditional lotus design. Its infinity symbol carries the idea of eternal life.
34. Lotus Flower Tattoo on Back of Neck
The intricate line art of this lotus flower and mandala are magical. It’s a design that can be colored in at a later time or can standalone.
35. Lotus Flower Tattoos on Neck
Like so many things in Buddhism, a black lotus flower can have dual meanings. One way is about darkness and death. This is filled in a subtle manner. We take it to mean she carries herself with class and elegance.
36. Mandala Back of Neck Tattoo
Mandalas are intricate designs that can be very meditative to create. If you have created your own mandala, you can find a tattoo artist to recreate it for you.
37. Moon Back of Neck Tattoo Design
The moon can be romantic or mysterious. Celestial phases are artistically placed in this tattoo. This is a great idea for astrologists and mediums.
38. Mountains and Moon Tattoo on Back of Neck
A mountain range can be a symbol of challenges and reaching goals.
39. Poked Roses Tattoo on the Back for Girls
Two roses drawn with simple line art convey the meaning of a couple’s devotion to each other. The thorns could be challenges they need to work through.
40. Pretty Geometric Tattoo on Back of Neck
Geometric patterns can have meaning without being obvious. This understated pattern has obvious meaning to its owner.
41. Quotes on Back of Neck Tattoo Design for Women
There can be many messages hidden within a Roman numeral tattoo. This one is dedicated to the owner’s mom.
42. Rebel Alliance Tattoo on Back of Neck
This is from the movie “The Force Awakens” which is part of the Star Wars saga. It’s a starbird that represents the Rebel Alliance. It’s worn on the uniforms and pilot’s helmets of the Resistance fighters.
43. Roman Numerals Tattoo on Back of Neck
Roman numerals are used to commemorate dates. This tattoo represents September 3, which is the day of her and her mom’s birthday.
44. Shooting Stars Tattoo on Back of Neck
Shooting stars are for those whose dreams and goals are on the fast track.
45. Simple Cross Tattoo on Back of Neck
Devotion takes on many forms. A Victorian cross is a strong statement of faith.
46. Small Dreamcatcher Tattoo on Back of Neck
Dream catchers are traditionally used to catch the bad dreams of children. It’s become a common decorative piece in many bedrooms. It was only a matter of time before it became a popular tattoo. This piece has delicate lines in its feathers.
47. Solar System Tattoo On Back of Neck
Here’s a simple and elegant tribute to our place in the solar system. A great way to celebrate a love for astronomy.
48. Splendid Geometric Back of Neck Tattoo Design
A geometric design may have special meaning. This is designed to say, “God is greater than my highs and lows.” The first symbol is the letter G, followed by the sign for “greater than.” The two Vs mean “highs and lows.”
49. Stylish Cross Tattoo on Back of Neck
A delicate cross with a heart at each end is a quiet statement of great love and faith.
50. Texas Tattoo on Back of Neck
We love to commemorate the places around the world that have special meaning in our lives. The familiar outline of Texas is all this woman needed to show her love for the state.
51. Three Mini Red Hearts Tattoo On Back of Neck
Hearts are a wonderful way to represent individual members of those closest to you. It can mean parents, siblings, a partner or children.
52. Tiny Lotus Flower on Back Of Neck
Tiny lotus is a minimalist representation of the beginning of a struggle.
53. Tree of Life Tattoo on Back of Neck
Tree of life is often a statement of family strength. The roots represent the grounding force of our lineage.
54. Tree Tattoo on Back Of Neck
Trees symbolize family life. The heart in the center means life grows from love.
55. Two Birds and A Small Heart Tattoo on Back of Neck
Two birds meeting as a chance encounter. They represent freedom and love.
56. Unalome Lotus Flower Back of Neck Tattoo for Girls
An Unalome is a commitment to contributing to a peaceful, calm environment. Unalome are usually in places that are not visible. Underneath the hairline is a great place for your art.
57. Wings Tattoo on the Back of Neck For Men
Angel wings can represent your angel on earth or the passing of a loved one. Justin Bieber claims his wings represent his rise to angelic status after causing grief to others. This shows how tattoos can have personal meaning.
Tattoos are alluring and elegant works of art. Today’s tattoos are used to convey personal messages about ourselves. They may hold messages about our family or our life’s journey.
For many of us, this doesn’t go over well in the workplace or even in some social situations. The neck has become a quiet haven to carry a piece of our personality out into the world.
Tattoos on the back of the neck can be covered with longer hair or shirt collars. This makes it easy to reveal them with a simple wardrobe change.
Discover hidden meanings in these designs. Create your own message that you can reveal to the world when you feel the time is right.